Tick Tock, Tick Tock
February 17, 2011 § Leave a comment
There are never enough hours in a day—this could not be more true, now that Maple has entered our lives. It seems that my every waking moment is spent with Maple. If I’m not physically with Maple, then I’m constantly thinking of her. Maple has become priority #1 since the first day she came home with MM and I. I never imagined that, two months on, Maple would still pre-occupy so much of our undivided attention. Maple, of course, is deliriously content with the amount of time we spend with her and probably wouldn’t mind it if we permanently affixed ourselves to her side.
Maple was adopted during the December school holidays, which meant that I was able to stay home and watch over her. Now that the new semester has begun and is well underway, I am having the hardest time trying to get back into the academic routine. It is so easy to wake up, look into those soulful eyes, and decide right then and there that the textbooks can wait to be read another day. Wouldn’t anyone rather be playing with Fido, planning the next doggie meet-up, or checking out the latest doggie news than to read one hundred pages on post-modernism? *sigh* This is procrastination at its core!
I would like to think that I’m a relatively organized person who relishes order and routine. Well, I admit, I’ve been slacking lately. In fact, I’m slacking right this very moment. What I should be doing, instead of typing an entry into Maple’s blog, is to write 15,000 words for a long overdue research proposal. And, instead of analyzing Maple’s matted hair, I should be analyzing the data collected from my fieldwork last weekend. As you can see, I’ve become easily distracted by a cute other being in the apartment.
To get back on track, here are a few of my favourite ‘getting things done’ websites that you may also find useful if you’re in the same boat as me:
1) Penelope Loves Lists: I find the design and layout of this blog so refreshing—it makes me want to re-organize my linen drawers. The blogroll, in my view, has the most delectable selection of sites to browse.
2) Buttoned Up: For those who cannot live without a list, you’ll find an impressive assortment of fantastically designed (FREE!) downloadable forms under the ‘tools & giveaways’ page. Knock yourself out!
3) Stepcase Lifehack: The posts here are packed with notable tips, ideas, and information to help you become a productivity guru. You’ll feel like you’ve been enlightened.
4) 43 Folders: If you enjoy reading witty banter about creative productivity, then this is the site for you. Just don’t over-indulge until it becomes an outlet for procrastination.
5) Four Hour Work Week: You can now have access to Tim Ferriss, author of the best-selling book, ‘The 4-Hour Workweek’, via his blog. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could all enjoy a 4-hour work week, too?